Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Am I a heretic? ...and other existential questions

OK... One last post before I head to Mom & Dad's for Christmas.

Back in September, someone posted a comment in my blog asking about my thoughts on cellulosic ethanol. Cellulosic ethanol is a "next generation" bio-fuel made from non-food plant matter, like wood chips. The idea is that it doesn't compete with the food supply. I used it as a springboard to talk a little bit about my views on the environment - which I think you might find controversial. Surprise, surprise.

After considerable thought, and knowing that I will be opening a can of worms, I have decided to re-post that comment here on the main blog, rather than leave it buried in the comments. Here's the bottom line: I think that any approach that advocates growing our fuel invites a slippery slope of consequences that could logically lead to clearcutting the planet, releasing greenhouse gases, loss of biodiversity, and of course the obvious concerns about food supply.

But what the hell do I know?

Beware the devil of unintended consequences.

Read the comment, just below, for that and other heretical little gems to keep you thinking over the holidays.

And don't forget to watch my YouTube videos, join my Facebook group, and read my Globe and Mail piece. You can also view all of my correspondence with the Canadian government up until the start of my blog in August. Just follow the links on the right hand side of the screen.

Now here's the comment:


Thanks for your question comment about cellulosic ethanol, Rob.

I realize that the issue of cellulosic bio-fuels is a gap in my argument. In fact, I consciously chose to specify that my concern was with grain-based ethanol, while leaving cellulosic an open issue for the environmental experts to sort out. I don't feel I have the technical knowledge of that aspect of the issue to take a solid stand. And frankly, I don't think it should become a red herring in the urgent issue, which is food for fuel.

That said, if there is a devil in the cellulosic details I think it will be in the unintended consequences. Will an entire industry spring up lobbying for a variety of "forest management" techniques that produce a steady, efficient stream of forest waste?

Beyond that, I'll take this opportunity to talk a bit about my own environmental credentials and views. I have a history of being concerned about unsexy issues like ethanol and the environment. I live in a compact apartment in central Toronto, I try to walk or cycle everywhere, and the last time I owned a car was 1990. I realize most people would not see these as realistic options, but I find that the important thing is to make conscious choices. Your life will then evolve around them. I think I have a fantastic quality of life, and I will compare carbon footprints with anyone.

My sense is that the best way for our society to protect the environment is to bring a consistent level of prosperity to the planet. First, it will allow the demographic shift to occur in places like sub-Saharan Africa, so that the earth's population stabilizes. Secondly, it will afford tropical countries the economic means to put measures in place that truly protect rainforests (for example). Thirdly, it will allow us to look for truly viable technological alternatives to hydrocarbons.

Next, I am in favour of reflecting the environment costs of resource usage in their price. It is a universal truth that people value what they pay for.


Finally, I think we should try to accept with calmness and serenity that civilizations rise and fall, and that ours might too one day.

Let it not be because we rushed to jump of a cliff, like lemmings.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

George, I agree that the bottom line in sustaining all life on our planet is a more equitable sharing of the resources on our earth. The obscene salaries of executives of the global national companies, and extreme materialism in the rich countries of the world when so many are dying in poverty is wrong. I have not done as much as you have to reduce my carbon footprint, but I am working on it. How can a country such as Canada have so many poor people living on the streets? How can we tolerate the cutting of our wild areas to put up so many high end condos? And how can we condone turning food into fuel in a hungry world? I read your ad in the Saturday Globe and Mail ( a paper luxery) and you have given me much to think about in the coming weeks. Thank you.

joancz said...

My previous comment was personal, and was not sent on behalf of natureNS.
Sorry.

George Tesseris said...

Joan, thanks for your comment. I just wanted to throw in my two cents on your point about uneven distribution of wealth.

While it is hard not to see obvious excesses, I think leaders will always and rightfully expect to be appropriately compensated for their efforts. I also think that leaders have an obligation not just to themselves and those that pay them, but to everyone that their actions impact. A CEO's obligation is not just to his shareholders and himself, and a political leader's obligation is not just to her party and her constituents. They are also responsible to the person living in a shelter and fighting addiction and mental health issues on Vancouver's east side, or to the person trying to survive in a refugee camp in Darfur. If you are that leader, do those people figure in your leadership decisions and actions? Because if they don't, then I agree with Joan. Why should anyone be in favour of a system that pays you way more maney and treats you with way more respect than it does them?

I think the measure of a person is in how they treat someone from whom they have absolutely nothing to gain; I think this "greater good" way of thinking has fallen out of fashion in terms of what people expect of their leaders and, frankly, of themselves; and I think that is at the root of many of society's problems today.

Anonymous said...

alcoholcanbeagas.com

Please keep an open mind and read as much as you can at this site. Thanks.

GeorgeMitges said...

George Mitges and Associates Inc. have the right strategic guidance you need. George Mitges agri food industry consulting provides a wide-ranging expertise in agribusiness and personalized consulting service to the production agricultural community over 30 years…